Privately self-funded musculoskeletal injections – a simple guide!
This is a short blog post dealing with some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) we receive from patients regarding self-funded injections.
Can I book-in for a self-funded private injection?
Yes. Anyone can book in for a private joint injection via Xphysio. You do not need a GP or Consultant referral. Our simple process involves a short initial telephone call with one of our clinical specilaists, the submission or a very short screening questionnaire and the generation of a private prescription. The clinical specialist will be able to assess your suitability for an injection, advise you regarding the type of injection that would be appropriate (corticosteroid, hyaluronic acid), screen you for any allergies, medical conditions and discuss current medicines taken as well as answering any questions you may have regarding the injection process.
Can I be referred for an injection by my GP via the NHS?
Your GP can decide to refer you on for the consideration of a joint injection to your local NHS service. Depending on your region or Borough, you may be referred directly to an Orthopaedic Consultant, to a triage service (to decide if you are suitable) or to a Physiotherapist.
The process can be quick or may take many weeks depending on waiting lists. In normal times, London referral times are approximately 6-8 weeks for your initial consultation with a second wait for the injection procedure. At the time of writing this blog, the impact of Covid-19 on musculoskeletal waiting lists has been extremely detrimental. In many boroughs of London, referrals to Orthopaedic services are currently suspended as services move towards supporting the NHS to tackle this virus. Many services are moving to remote or online consultations only, temporarily.
Your GP can also refer you for a private injection, if you have health insurance provider or wish to self-fund.
Why book a private injection with Complete-physio?
We can offer a same-day, one-stop shop service following the same guidance and adhering to the same standards of NHS services.
What problems do you offer injections for?
We offer ultrasound guided injections for all peripheral joints issues including the hip. Common pathologies include:
- Shoulder -biceps tendonitis, acromioclavicular joint issues, shoulder arthritis, adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder), rotator cuff pain, sub-acromial bursitis and shoulder impingement
- Elbow – Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow), medial epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow), olecranon bursitis, insertional bicep issues, cubital tunnel syndrome
- Wrist and hand – Osteoarthritis of the wrist and digits, trigger finger / thumb, carpal tunnel syndrome, Triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) issues, De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Hip – Trochanteric bursitis, osteoarthritis of the hip, Iliopsoas tendinopathy, proximal hamstring issues, femoro-acetabular impingement
- Knee – Osteoarthritis of the knee, Patellofemoral joint pain, Baker’s cyst, Illiotibial band friction syndrome, meniscal cartilage tears, prepatella bursitis, patella tendinopathy, fat pad inflammation, pes anserine bursitis
- Foot and ankle – 1st metatarsal joint problems, ankle sprains, Morton’s neuroma, plantarfasciitis, sinus tarsai syndrome, osteoarthritis of the foot, calf tears, gout, retrocalcaneal bursitis, achilles tendon problems
We do not inject any pathologies of the head or spine.
What are the types of injections offered and what are the costs?
We can offer a wide variety of specialist injections and procedures depending of the type of problem you are having.
Currently we can offer:
- Corticosteroid injections £230
- Hyaluronic acid injections (Ostenil and Durolane) between £290 – £350 per joint
- Hydro-distensions £250
For more detailed descriptions, please see our services page.
How long do injections last for?
Corticosteroid injections can give effective pain relief and reduced inflammation for at least 6-8 weeks and last for many months.
Hyaluronic acid injection can enable longer-lasting pain relief for up to 9 months and are repeatable.
The response to injections is very much dependent of the pathology, the chronicity (how long you have had the issue for) and the individual patient.
Are your specialists experienced?
Yes. All our injecting clinicians are with:
- Qualified and experienced musculoskeletal sonographers
- Independent non-medical prescribers
- Highly specialised musculoskeletal physiotherapists with at least 15 years of experience
- Masters level-certified injection therapists with many years of clinical NHS and private practice work
Where do you offer injection clinics?
We can currently offer injection therapy at:
- Angel N1
- Swiss Cottage NW6
How quickly can I book in for an injection?
We can effectively offer a same-day service at many of our clinic locations depending on availability. Once you have spoken to one of our clinical directors, completed our pre-injection screening form and generated a prescription we can get you booked in immediately.
Will the injections affect any vaccinations that I have?
At the time of writing, the global Covid-19 pandemic continues and we at XPhysio are being hyper-vigilant monitoring the government and medical guidance regarding all treatments that we offer. The roll-out of the approved Covid-19 vaccines and the annual influenza vaccinations this year mean that we are being extra-careful with corticosteroid injections.
A steroid injection can potentially lower the immune response and make vaccines less effective. Currently, the is no national guidance or agreed consensus regarding steroid injections and the effect of the new Covid-19 vaccines. Looking at the current available evidence, we have implemented a policy of not offering injections no sooner than TWO weeks pre-vaccination and not sooner than TWO weeks post the last dose of vaccination.
We are monitoring the situation on a daily basis and will always inform you of any risk or side-effects before treatment
If you would like to book an appointment or would like further information please call 07903247247or email email@example.com We are always happy to answer any of your questions.
Your treatment includes a full and accurate assessment, diagnostic imaging, medication prescription, ultrasound-guided injection and a comprehensive clinical letter.